POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More random humous : Re: More random humous Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:15:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More random humous
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 7 Oct 2008 14:18:44
Message: <48eba804$1@news.povray.org>
>> - I have no idea what Erlang does...
>
> You send a message to another process, or receive such a message, which
> isn't therefore functional as such. Processing the message is (mostly)
> functional, but the behavior of a collection of processes varies with
> timing and such.
>
> Plus, there are processes implemented in C which do non-functional stuff
> with messages, like write them to stdout.

So it's kinda like SQL - it's basically stateless, except for some
top-level state mutation. (?)

>> (A Haskell "program" takes an infinite list of I/O responses as input,
>> and returns an infinite list of I/O requests as output.
>
> I remember reading about that a long time ago! :-)

Yeah. Frighteningly easy to accidentally get the requests and replies
out of sync. This means it's also very easy to accidentally try to read
a response before the request has been sent - also known as a
"deadlock". :-/

We got rid of that For A Reason(tm). ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/