POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : MakeHuman POV-Ray textures (SSS) : Re: MakeHuman POV-Ray textures (SSS) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MakeHuman POV-Ray textures (SSS)
From: Chris B
Date: 5 Oct 2008 19:39:48
Message: <48e95044$1@news.povray.org>
"Arne Kleinophorst" <Sir### [at] spamdebitelnet> wrote in message
>I might be wrong but wasn't one of the advantages of the 'solid' povray
>objects compared to the 'triangle'- / 'quad'-based scanline renderers that
>you don't need SSS to create realistic see-through materials / effects /
>whatever?

The model exported from MakeHuman will be a mesh2 object made up of
triangular faces. I'm not sure whether other techniques can get such high
quality results, maybe they can. The best I've seen so far have been the SSS
results.

Nevertheless, other techniques aren't ruled out. In fact, I'd be quite happy
to output multiple textures from the MakeHuman export option and give the
POV-Ray user the choice of which texture to use at render time. Maybe it
would be good to have one reasonable quality, quick to render technique and
one best quality. I've come up with a texture using specular and diffuse
that look kind of ok to me and that renders in seconds, but I have to admit
that textures aren't really my strong point, so ideas for improvement would
be welcome.

> Not that I would be against SSS. I just don't understand it :-)

I've read a little about SSS and find it produces impressive results, but I
can't really claim to understand how it produces those results, and I've
never been able to reproduce such impressive results myself.

Regards,
Chris B.