POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : MakeHuman POV-Ray textures (SSS) : Re: MakeHuman POV-Ray textures (SSS) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:15:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MakeHuman POV-Ray textures (SSS)
From: stbenge
Date: 5 Oct 2008 16:55:48
Message: <48e929d4@news.povray.org>
Chris B wrote:
> The impressive SSS images on
> pbi have prompted interest from the MakeHuman team to also have an SSS
> macro that can be output with the POV-Ray model and distributed under an
> LGPL license.

Was their interest piqued by my SSS work? My last technique is fraught
with problems. Individual light sources have to be taken into account,
the model shouldn't be transformed after the SSS is applied, dark areas
on the target object cannot be illuminated, it won't work with
radiosity, and the parse times can be very high to produce an effect
suitable for something like human skin.

> Would anyone with SSS POV-Ray knowledge/assets be interested in working
> (with my support) on developing such a macro for the generated models?

I would, but all of the afore-mentioned problems will make my last
technique difficult for the end-user.

I have some ideas for a very good SSS effect, but it will require new
features to be added to POV-Ray. Most of the features needed for this
are already there, but need to be applied for this specific task. I
think it can be done without bloating the core. E-mail me if you are
interested in hearing my ideas. I can post an example image somewhere to
show you how it will look. Is the MakeHuman team willing to wait until
POV can natively support an opaque surface SSS effect?

Sam