POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You lose some... : Re: You lose some... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You lose some...
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Oct 2008 05:17:59
Message: <48e88647$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:

> "Unhandled exception at 0x00414166 in Huffman01.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
> violation reading location 0x00000004."
>
> Access violation reading location 0x00000004 means it's very likely you're
> dereferencing a NULL pointer somewhere, because of how close 4 is to 0.

Yeah, seems plausible. (Except that I'm not using pointers anywhere,
only references.)

> So, if you just
> hit F5 and run the program as usual, it will tell you right where it is when
> it crashes by pointing at the line. You can also look at the call stack pane
> to see how it got there. It will probably be easy to see what the NULL
> pointer is.

It's somewhere inside vector.cpp. (And the code makes *no sense* to me
at all. The comments mumble something about copy constructors though...)

Now if I could somehow figure out which part of *my* code is calling the
failing routine, and with what arguments, I'd have a shot...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/