POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Upgrade [Drool] : Re: Upgrade [Drool] Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:11:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrade [Drool]
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Oct 2008 12:21:53
Message: <48e646a1$1@news.povray.org>
Gail wrote:
> Ever since I installed the wireless network card and drivers, my machine
> frequently hangs on bootup.

Wireless seems to be a bugaboo for everyone, which is rather surprising
to me.

Interestingly (at least mildly so), my machine has been hanging trying
to log out, with some compute-bound process locking up for 2 or 3
minutes when I log out. I finally got around to replacing a failing DVD
drive, and all of a sudden, it's not failing again. I wonder how much of
the "My Windows slows down over time" kind of complaint is just hardware
that's wearing out and causing hangs during retries in places where the
kernel really doesn't need to be waiting for retries.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)