POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's that tocatta again... : Re: It's that tocatta again... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's that tocatta again...
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Oct 2008 09:58:24
Message: <48e62500$1@news.povray.org>

> Not so bad I guess :-) but did you actually try to hear sounds below 30Hz
> with them?

Actually no. But the headphones certainly produce far more bass than my
speakers do.

> Remember that the fundamental frequency of a 32' open pipe (or a 16' closed
> one) is about 16Hz !

Doesn't necessarily mean the pipes generate any significant energy at
their fundamental. ;-)

> Usually the very low frequency band is percieved more by chest and belly
> than by ears
> Human ear is usually said to percieve sounds down to 20Hz and I suspect even
> good headphones can't reproduce such low frequencies simply because their
> resonance frequency is higher

By sound card, amplifier and headphones are all "rated" to do 20 Hz - 20
kHz. Of course that only means the system has a meaningful amount of
gain in that range; I'm sure frequencies outside it do register a little.

But clearly, no stereo system is likely to shake the building like a
real pipe organ can - much to my neighbor's relief! ;-)

(BTW... if your headphones *have* a "resonant frequency", the designers
did something wrong.)

> Do you want stops and manuals?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Usnaconsole2.jpg

o_O

It looks like it would take 3 people to play it...!