POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's that tocatta again... : Re: It's that tocatta again... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's that tocatta again...
From: m a r c
Date: 3 Oct 2008 09:47:59
Message: <48e6228f@news.povray.org>

48e615aa$1@news.povray.org...
>>> I guess camcorder microphones aren't so hot? ;-)
>>
>> I meant large membrane condenser professional microphones.
>
> Yeah. But a lot of the YouTube videos seem to be somebody playing on an
> organ in their house or their local church, recorded using home video
> equipment. Clearly such equipment doesn't cope well with such loud,
> powerful sounds.
Or  users don't know or don't bother to set the record level.
OTOH automatic level is not better : it produces a 'pumping' artifact : loud
sounds get gain lower so background  sounds may have unnatural level changes

> The CD recordings I've heard, on the other hand, usually sound just fine.
> Clearly the result of better equipment and trained professionals who know
> how to set it up right. ;-)

Indeed :-)

Not so bad I guess :-) but did you actually try to hear sounds below 30Hz
with them?
Remember that the fundamental frequency of a 32' open pipe (or a 16' closed
one) is about 16Hz !
Usually the very low frequency band is percieved more by chest and belly
than by ears
Human ear is usually said to percieve sounds down to 20Hz and I suspect even
good headphones can't reproduce such low frequencies simply because their
resonance frequency is higher

> Heh. Well yes. Like I said, I assumed that's why all organs seem to have
> at least 2 manuals on them - you you can configure them at different stops
> before you start playing...

On modern or modernized organs with electric, electronic or even pneumatic
key actions that are versatile, that may be true... but old organs with
mechanic actions from keys to pipes had their manuals dedicated to different
sections with for each a limited choice in stops selections.
Do you want stops and manuals?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Usnaconsole2.jpg

Marc