POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray for people with disabilities : Re: POV-Ray for people with disabilities Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray for people with disabilities
From: Rick Berger
Date: 2 Oct 2008 17:07:53
Message: <48e53829$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:10:02 +0100, Chris B wrote:

> "Rick Berger" <rbe### [at] rogerscom> wrote in message
>> I'm interested in the use POV-Ray by people who have limited hand
>> dexterity because of some physical condition or disability that limits
>> their ability to use a mouse or any other type of pointing device.
>
> POV-Ray provides a text-based language that enables you to effectively
> 'describe' a scene in a text file. IMO the pointing device is far less
> significant than the keyboard for POV-Ray, but you would need to
> consider whether the dexterity issues you mentioned would be equally
> problematic for using a keyboard.  POV-Ray typically involves a lot of
> typing.
>
> I have a little experience of designing systems to meet accessibility
> requirements, but most of the solutions I've come across that could help
> with keyboard entry would not be particularly effective for supporting
> the sort of keyboard entry required for entering or editing the POV-Ray
> Scene Description Language (SDL). For example, speech recognition tools
> are most effective where the context reduces the potential for
> ambiguity, such as in composing literature or responding to one of a
> predefined set of options, which is not particularly the case with
> POV-Ray SDL.
>
> Do you see keyboard entry as being an issue or do you have some device
> or technology in mind to circumvent such issues?
>
> Regards,
> Chris B.

Generally I think applications using text entry are a lot easier to
exploit. You've got many more options availability to you potentially. In
my case right now I using a JavaScript typing accelerator that I've
hacked together. It stable and works pretty good though it needs
reworking so it could be integrated into things like google docs and has
some more bells and whistles.

I think I would have to differ on your opinion not being able to provide
support for keyboarding for POV-Ray SDL, using a good typing accelerator
or input anticipatory system should make someone pretty proficient. I
know in my days of coding, some 30 years ago, my same accelerator concept
increase my coding speed by at least a factor of 10. I can't see why it
shouldn't be the same with POV-Ray SDL.

The other thing is the experience, POV-Ray can give you some very
tangible things with relative moderate effort. This is why I think there
is a potential group of users with disabilities that could find POV-Ray
rewarding.

My motivation to look at POV-Ray was/is to be able draw things I want to
get built, initially it was for a mobility device around the house,
though other things like showing my wheelchair technician the modifaction
I want to make van's host more effective and seeing changes I want to
consider to make condo more accessible. Two things coming out of working
on the host are now a friend can do the work because it's clear to see
what has to be done and not enveloped in this air of specialization, and
the other is I have a better handle on it.

Again, are there libraries of macros for describing things like nuts and
bolts, pulley and gear systems, etc? Are there articles on best practices
for describing mechanical systems?

Rick