POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:13:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: Alain
Date: 30 Sep 2008 12:41:14
Message: <48e256aa@news.povray.org>
somebody nous illumina en ce 2008-09-26 10:44 -->

> (*) Yes, atomic and subatomic particle physics at one point had practical
> applications. But like I mentioned several times earlier, we long since have
> crossed over that line where practical applications are possible. There's
> always a law of diminishing returns as you get further away. Studying the
> atmosphere of Earth has definite benefits. Studying the atmosphere of Venus
> has little, if any. Studying the atmosphere of a planet 20 LY away (when
> such time comes) is completely useless and wasteful. Similar scales exist in
> any endavour. With particle physics, that scale of practicality correlates
> more or less with energy.

Studying the athmosphere of a planet 20 light years away can have some benefit.
It can tell us if life can exist there, then if WE can live there. Then, it can
tell us if there is a civilisation on that planet. Then, several years later, we
could send peoples there and establish a colony, or establish some commercial
relationship with that planet's residents.

--
Alain
I can read your mind, and you should be ashamed of yourself.