POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray for people with disabilities : Re: POV-Ray for people with disabilities Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:12:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray for people with disabilities
From: Chris B
Date: 30 Sep 2008 05:12:29
Message: <48e1ed7d$1@news.povray.org>
"William Tracy" <wtr### [at] calpolyedu> wrote in message
> That gives me an interesting idea: Has anyone tried pairing Povray with a
> speech-to-text system?

I've spent many hours experimenting with various speech-to-text systems and,
after hours of training it to recognize your voice and hours training
yourself to speak in a consistent and clear fashion, it can be made to
achieve a reasonable level of accuracy where the context enables it to
rapidly disambiguate alternative interpretations of a word or phrase. Such
situations include the composition of literary texts where the system can
use common conjunctions of words to correct potential ambiguities and IVR
(Interactive Voice Recognition/Response) telephony applications were you can
present the user with a short menu of verbally distinct options to select
from.

I'm not aware of any available speech-to-text products that would work at
all well out-of-the-box for composing POV-Ray SDL. Certain technologies,
like VoiceXML (designed primarily for IVR) enable you to define voice
recognition scripts, but it would be a mammoth task to  implement such
scripts for anything but a very small subset of POV-Ray directives.

Regards,
Chris B.