POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray for people with disabilities : Re: POV-Ray for people with disabilities Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:13:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray for people with disabilities
From: Chris B
Date: 29 Sep 2008 16:10:06
Message: <48e1361e@news.povray.org>
"Rick Berger" <rbe### [at] rogerscom> wrote in message
> I'm interested in the use POV-Ray by people who have limited hand
> dexterity because of some physical condition or disability that limits
> their ability to use a mouse or any other type of pointing device.

POV-Ray provides a text-based language that enables you to effectively
'describe' a scene in a text file. IMO the pointing device is far less
significant than the keyboard for POV-Ray, but you would need to consider
whether the dexterity issues you mentioned would be equally problematic for
using a keyboard.  POV-Ray typically involves a lot of typing.

I have a little experience of designing systems to meet accessibility
requirements, but most of the solutions I've come across that could help
with keyboard entry would not be particularly effective for supporting the
sort of keyboard entry required for entering or editing the POV-Ray Scene
Description Language (SDL). For example, speech recognition tools are most
effective where the context reduces the potential for ambiguity, such as in
composing literature or responding to one of a predefined set of options,
which is not particularly the case with POV-Ray SDL.

Do you see keyboard entry as being an issue or do you have some device or
technology in mind to circumvent such issues?

Regards,
Chris B.