POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: somebody
Date: 26 Sep 2008 22:02:54
Message: <48dd944e@news.povray.org>
"Mueen Nawaz" <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote in message
> somebody wrote:

> I can't say that since money was pumped in before and we got great
> results, then if you pump in more you'll get even more achievements
> (particularly given that we don't even know if those achievements are
> realizable by the laws of this universe).
>
> Do you really think that as long as we pump enough money into it,
> Moore's law will hold forever?

No, but we are nowhere a physically imposed limit, that much I know for
sure, as should any reasonably educated person. We are already moving
towards parallelization, which is a new angle on Moore's law (paradigm
shift).

And I can say, with certainty, that we are nowhere near any biological or
physical limits when it comes to medicine. That much, again, should be
obvious to any reasonably eduated person.

And there's a very simple empirical method to determine if research
stangnates and is insensitive to funding or manpower. Just make a plot of
advances. If you hit a plateau, you *may* be nearing stagnation, but more
tellingly, lack of plateau means you are not stagnating. Again, by all
measures, medical science has hit no such plateau yet. Even if we hit a
biological limit in some distant future, who says we cannot move on to
non-biological domains? Already, with implants and prosthetics, we have
initiated a paradigm shift.