POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ray tracing and gamma correction : Re: Ray tracing and gamma correction Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ray tracing and gamma correction
From: scott
Date: 26 Sep 2008 04:12:18
Message: <48dc9962$1@news.povray.org>
> My monitor gamma seems to be in order (around 2.2).

The problem with most monitors is that they are not actually programmed
exactly with a gamma curve, it's usually something approximating a gamma
curve, but typically goes off at the black and white ends.  Of course you
also need to check your monitor settings, things like "brightness" and
"contrast" can really screw up the "gamma" curve.

> Now I have to figure out a better way to define object color. As
> specifying it RGB= 180,100,100 gives a totally different output. Idea, I
> could just do a inverse gamma correction to those values first....and
> yes, it seems to work just right.

Yes, this is an area where POV also (used to?) do things wrong.  When the
user inputs a colour, or texture, that data is already in gamma-corrected
colour space (because they see the colour on their monitor).  You need to
inverse-gamma-correct that colour/texture FIRST, before you do any
raytracing, because your raytracer must work in linear colour space.  At the
very very end you can gamma correct the raytraced image to show on a
monitor.

IIRC POV doesn't/didn't inverse-gamma-correct textures, which is why the
colours often came out weird unless you used gamma 0.  Maybe this has been
fixed now I haven't checked.