POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Calculate normal vector? : Re: Calculate normal vector? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculate normal vector?
From: Warp
Date: 25 Sep 2008 17:41:21
Message: <48dc0581@news.povray.org>
B. Gimeno <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Then I apply the normal obtained to a smooth_triangle, and the result is uh....
> unsmoothed_triangles.

> smooth_triangle {v1,N,v2,N,v3,N}

  It's a flat triangle because all the vertex normals are pointing to the
same direction. You are thus telling POV-Ray that it's a flat triangle.

  For the triangle to be smooth the normals need to point to different
directions (more precisely, they should be normal vectors of the "actual
surface" which the triangle mesh is approximating).

  To get a completely smooth mesh, triangles sharing a vertex should all
have the same normal vector at that shared vertex.

  One common technique to auto-generate a vertex vector for a given vertex
in a completely smooth mesh is to average the normal vectors of the
triangles which share that vertex.

--
                                                          - Warp