POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 25 Sep 2008 14:07:08
Message: <48dbd34c$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
>> One of the more significant benefits of manned exploration of space is a
>> better understanding of muscle atrophy - which has had real-world
>> practical application in disease research.
>
> Sure, because there are not aldready tens of thousands of easily accessible
> bedridden patients in hospitals already to conduct the research on.

	While I won't jump in and say the research was valuable (I really don't
know), your argument is fallacious.

	When you have a patient lying in a bed here on Earth, there are a
number of factors that we can't control. If you want to understand
muscle atrophy, you won't know how it depends on variables W, X, Y and
Z, because we can't eliminate those variables. We can just guess that
perhaps it depends on them.

	Going up in space eliminated some of them, and provided a better
understanding. It's not at all implausible that that knowledge may
benefit those who are at 9.81g.

--
AAAAA - American Association Against Acronym Abuse

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl