POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:26:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: somebody
Date: 25 Sep 2008 12:21:42
Message: <48dbba96$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:42:14 -0600, somebody wrote:

> > No. Satellites falls into "unmanned" space exploration. I specifically
> > made a distinction: Unamanned=good, manned=bad. The fringe benefits of
> > manned exploration to unmanned is not worth carrying out manned
> > exploration. Spend that money on unmanned, and you can launch 10 times
> > more satellites.

> One of the more significant benefits of manned exploration of space is a
> better understanding of muscle atrophy - which has had real-world
> practical application in disease research.

Sure, because there are not aldready tens of thousands of easily accessible
bedridden patients in hospitals already to conduct the research on.

If you are thinking of MARES, it mainly adresses atrophy due to
microgravity. So it's to solve a problem that manned space exploration
created anyway. Take out manned exploration, the artificially created
problem goes away. Now you can use the freed funds to do research that
actually will benefit those who suffer on earth.