POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ray tracing and gamma correction : Re: Ray tracing and gamma correction Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ray tracing and gamma correction
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 25 Sep 2008 12:15:27
Message: <48dbb91f$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Because if you give your monitor (or pretty much any monitor) 64,64,64,
> it's not 4x dimmer than 255,255,255.  You need to give it 136,136,136
> (or whatever) to get that.

That is true!

I have a visually calibrated LCD screen using this page and test chart:

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html#gammachart

My monitor gamma seems to be in order (around 2.2). And it really means
that in order to get half luminance of pure white, I have to use RGB =
186,186,186 - as opposed to 123,123,123.

So yes, I have to start using gamma correction from now on. Thanks.

Now I have to figure out a better way to define object color. As
specifying it RGB= 180,100,100 gives a totally different output. Idea, I
could just do a inverse gamma correction to those values first....and
yes, it seems to work just right.

Severi