POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: somebody
Date: 24 Sep 2008 21:07:31
Message: <48dae453$1@news.povray.org>
"Nicolas Alvarez" <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote
> somebody wrote:

> > Extraordinary claims such as FTL require
> > extraordinary evidence.

> What if the evidence costs 10 billion to find?

What if jumping from a bridge will cause you to fly?

You don't try random things and hope that you'll get fantastic results.
That's not how science or nature work. That's why I'm betting that no self
respecting scientist will make such ridiculous claims as suggesting that LHC
will give us FTL or levitation, perpetual motion machines or anything
similarly fanciful.

On the other hand, maybe it will cure cancer, grow hair on bald heads and
prevent toasts from falling buttered side down. Just as likely as FTL, I'd
wager.