POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: somebody
Date: 24 Sep 2008 14:31:13
Message: <48da8771@news.povray.org>
"Kyle" <hob### [at] gatenet> wrote in message

> ... plus an immeasurable number of side inventions that affect our daily
lives ...

> http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/en/kids/spinoffs2.shtml

Ah yes, the edible toothpaste. Where would we be without it? Seriously, any
and all so called spin-offs were either developed, being developed, or to be
developed independently. The joystick, for instance, has its roots in the
turn of the 20th century and was being used for gaming before the moon
landing. It's shameless propaganda to say we _owe_ those things to manned
exploration. Some of those inventions, yes, NASA expediated, and not all
space programs are a waste of course. Unmanned space programs, especially
the communication and surveillence satellites are an example of good
science. Going to the moon was bad science (well, not even science, just a
technological tour de force).