POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:10:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: somebody
Date: 24 Sep 2008 13:36:46
Message: <48da7aae$1@news.povray.org>
"John VanSickle" <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> somebody wrote:

> > Jokes aside, doesn't anybody else find it ridiculous that almost 10
billion
> > dollars is being spent on an experiment that will have absolutely zero
> > practical benefit to mankind (even if it's spectacularly successful
beyond
> > imagination)?

> Most of what government does nowadays is of no practical benefit to
> mankind, so the CERN deal really isn't that unusual.

True, true. But shouldn't we expect better from scientists? Granted, no
individual physicist is going to turn down an opportunity to take part in
such an experiment, individual scientists are motivated by the same selfish
interests as the rest of us. But science, as an institution, needs to
develop a conscience, a scale of proportion, and prioritization.