POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: Warp
Date: 24 Sep 2008 09:38:26
Message: <48da42d1@news.povray.org>
somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:
> Jokes aside, doesn't anybody else find it ridiculous that almost 10 billion
> dollars is being spent on an experiment that will have absolutely zero
> practical benefit to mankind (even if it's spectacularly successful beyond
> imagination)?

  Yeah, they will try colliding a few hadrons, search for the Higgs boson,
and after that they will just shut down the whole thing when it's done.

  You must be joking. Do you *seriously* think that they would spend that
much money and not have long-term plans of hundreds if not thousands of
different experiments of different fields of quantum mechanics, which
hopefully will help us understand better how the physical world works,
with the ultimate goal of developing new technology which will make
everyone's lives easier? Do you seriously think that investors would spend
that much money on something with no prospects of benefiting mankind?

  I find it rather ironic that you are writing this on a computer and
clearly haven't even stopped to think how exactly science and technology
was developed so much that you are able to write that on a computer for
people around the world to see.

  Just as one example: Exactly how do you think they discovered the
properties of semiconductors and transistors?

  How do you think the world would be today if they had simply thought
"this is a useless waste of money, let's use the money on something
more useful"?

--
                                                          - Warp