POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sometimes, Haskell wins : Re: Sometimes, Haskell wins Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:12:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sometimes, Haskell wins
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 23 Sep 2008 16:12:27
Message: <48d94dab$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:

> yes.  Something more is getting in the way.

Like Warp suggested, maybe his Perl coding just sucks for some reason?

>> Anyway, whatever. My point is that Haskell isn't nearly as slow as
>> everybody thinks it is.
>
> It's not slow at all.  It's just not nearly as fast as C/C++, but then, few are.
> And fewer are as high level and concise as Haskell. :)

Heh. The Haskell bods are currently real excited because Haskell is
ranked 3rd is the new parallel benchmark table. (But then, most of the
other languages haven't submitted any parallel code yet.) It's lagging
behind C++, but just faster than C.

Of course, as somebody pointed out, the C and C++ implementations are
using OS threads, while Haskell is using lightweight Haskell threads,
"so it's not a fair comparison". Debate that if you will...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/