POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The fruits of my labour : Re: The fruits of my labour Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:10:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The fruits of my labour
From: Alain
Date: 22 Sep 2008 12:57:45
Message: <48d7ce89$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 nous illumina en ce 2008-09-21 15:20 -->
> Tim Attwood wrote:
>> That sounds good!
>
> Yay! Recognition! :-D
>
>> It's noticeable that you are reading though,
>> especially the pauses.
>
> Um... no. Didn't even have the sheet music out while I was playing. I
> can't read anywhere near that fast. It takes me a minute or two to
> decode each note by counting up or down from the A-line.
>
> As an aside, the top line alone has 32 notes per bar. Surely no human
> being can actually *read* that fast. Indeed, just glancing at your
Actualy, many can and do. With time, practice and dedication, even you can
acheive that.
> fingers to check they're in the right place would take several notes'
And you won't even need to check where your fingers are...
> duration. So I'm not sure how it's physically possible to read this
> music at the same time as playing it.
Think about touch typists, they never look at the keyboard. Think about when you
read some text.

> In fact, I'd go as far as to say that this piece of music is only
> playable at all because it's quite repetative and structured...
>
>> It probably would
>> sound better to keep the rhythm going even
>> if you hit the wrong chords.
>
> You're probably right about that.
>
> There are some amazing key changes in the latter parts of the tune; I
> just wish I hadn't got such big pauses in there. (It's HARD though!) On
> some of the takes, those pauses are almost non-existent (but I stuffed
> up somewhere else instead). Ho hum!

You only need parctice. When reading a partition as you play it, you need to
read about 1 bar ahead of time.
With time, you'll be able to know what a given note is without "climbing" up/down.

--
Alain
I abhor war and view it as the greatest scourge of mankind.