POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Job security : Re: Job security Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Job security
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 22 Sep 2008 12:53:06
Message: <48d7cd72$1@news.povray.org>
Alain a écrit :
> Francois Labreque nous illumina en ce 2008-09-20 14:45 -->
>> Tom Austin a écrit :

>>> Get an old hub and put on the line.
>>>
>>> then run a patch from hub to a computer running a packet sniffer
>>>

>>> current hookup
>>>
>>> SWITCH-----------------------CISCO ROUTER
>>>

>>> sniffer hookup
>>>
>>> SWITCH------------HUB------------CISCO ROUTER
>>>                    !
>>>                    !
>>>                  SNIFFER
>>>

>> Be sure to put a cross-over cable between the hub and the switch!
>>
>> This being said, unless Andrew doesn't care about his job, I wouldn't
>> recommend playing around with the network like that.
>>
>> Problem 1:  Both the switch and router are probably set to full
>> duplex.    If the sniffer or hub sends packets, it may cause
>> collisions that would look very suspicious on a full duplex link  (I'm
>> assuming that one of the reasons to go to Cisco hardware 2 years ago
>> was for remote management)
>>
>> Problem 2:  If they are serious about security, the switch will be
>> configured to allow only one mac address (the router's) and any packet
>> transmitted by the sniffer PC or hub would cause the port to alarm or
>> shutdown.
>>
>> Problem 3: the unpluging of the router and connection to the hub might
>> be enough to send an alert to the Powers-That-Be(tm).
>>
>> Chances are they already have network usage stats anyway.
>>
> Normaly, when you use a hub, switch or router, you don't need a
> crossover cable. The crossover is done by the hub/switch/router.
> Crossover cables are used to dirrectly connect 2 computer by an ethernet
> cable.

Cisco Catalyst switches - which is want Andrew said they were installing
in his office a few years ago - do not do that as they expect whoever
installs them to know what they are doing and cable the things through a
cable-management plant where punching down straight-through or
cross-over connections offers more flexibility.

Auto-MDI/MDIX hubs and switches are for home offices where people
usually do not have extra cables lying around, or do not even know the
difference.