POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The fruits of my labour : Re: The fruits of my labour Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:10:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The fruits of my labour
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Sep 2008 08:59:36
Message: <48d796b8$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Oh...kay then, that's pretty random!

Nah. Just a muss-up of the file extension mappings.

> It's strange - I can sit down and play the music endlessly for 2 days
> straight, but as soon as I hit the record button, I start making
> mistakes all over the place. :-S Most irritating!

It's called "choke". How many times do you think professional basketball
players miss foul shots in practice? :-)

> Everybody was astonished when I continued playing without so
> much as missing a beat.

Yeah. I amazed friends by programming on a VDT in a dark room, knowing
where all the keys were.  Um, guys? Don't you program for a living, and
you can't touch-type? :-)

> However... this only works if one note is near another. My hands "know"
> how wide the keys are. But if I need to move my whole hand to a
> different part of the keyboard, I still need to be able to see where I'm
> going. If that makes sense...

Yes, it certainly does. I've heard interviews with professional pianists
who say they can just put their hands in front of them and hear the
notes their fingers are touching.

>> But for someone who doesn't practice at least 3 hours a day for
>> several years, it's pretty impressive what you've got there with that
>> little bit of work.
>
> Thanks! I spent literally *days* decoding the score and rehersing the
> playing. ;-)

Yep. That's not a lot of time for something like that, tho. That's my
point. Even in high-school band, memorizing the music for the year was
probably two weeks to a month of an hour every day before school. Doing
that in just days is pretty impressive, especially given that it's a
piano (with concurrent notes) and not a trumpet or something.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)