POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : difference/ intersect, preserving original texture. : Re: difference/ intersect, preserving original texture. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:12:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: difference/ intersect, preserving original texture.
From: John VanSickle
Date: 21 Sep 2008 01:39:45
Message: <48d5de21@news.povray.org>
gregjohn wrote:
> I have an interesting object{}. It itself is a union of multiple,
> interestingly-shaped objects of different colors. I want to get a cross section
> of it and see the colors of the different layers.
>
> Every way I've tried, however, gives the cross-section the texture of the
> cutting object.  Any way to see the colors in my multi-layer cake?

Consider this simple intersection:

intersection {
   sphere { -x,2 texture { Rubber } }
   sphere {  x,2 texture { Chalk } }
}

One side is Rubber and the other is Chalk, as we expect.  The space
between the surfaces has an interior assigned to it, but it has no
texture associated.  In POV-Ray, the interior of an object does not have
an associated texture that can be seen when an untextured object
intersects into that interior.

If you want to see the different surfaces, then use a clipping object.
It will make the object look hollow, but you'll see the surfaces.

Regards,
John