POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Job security : Re: Job security Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Job security
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 20 Sep 2008 14:45:45
Message: <48d544d9$1@news.povray.org>

>>> How many physical connections from your internal network to your
>>> internet gateway - the Cisco router?
>>
>> Just one.
>>

> Get an old hub and put on the line.
>
> then run a patch from hub to a computer running a packet sniffer
>

> current hookup
>
> SWITCH-----------------------CISCO ROUTER
>

> sniffer hookup
>
> SWITCH------------HUB------------CISCO ROUTER
>                    !
>                    !
>                  SNIFFER

Be sure to put a cross-over cable between the hub and the switch!

This being said, unless Andrew doesn't care about his job, I wouldn't
recommend playing around with the network like that.

Problem 1:  Both the switch and router are probably set to full duplex.
    If the sniffer or hub sends packets, it may cause collisions that
would look very suspicious on a full duplex link  (I'm assuming that one
of the reasons to go to Cisco hardware 2 years ago was for remote
management)

Problem 2:  If they are serious about security, the switch will be
configured to allow only one mac address (the router's) and any packet
transmitted by the sniffer PC or hub would cause the port to alarm or
shutdown.

Problem 3: the unpluging of the router and connection to the hub might
be enough to send an alert to the Powers-That-Be(tm).

Chances are they already have network usage stats anyway.