POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dancing baby : Re: Dancing baby Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dancing baby
From: Alain
Date: 19 Sep 2008 15:13:35
Message: <48d3f9df$1@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz nous illumina en ce 2008-09-19 11:27 -->
> Warp wrote:
>> Mueen Nawaz <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>>   IMO there's the danger in such generic filtering that it will sometimes
>> filter something which is *not* an ad, and might be relevant to the
>> contents
>> of the website.
>
>     Hasn't happened yet. Perhaps I did block non-ads, but they weren't
> important enough for me to realize.
>
>>   I prefer using adblock on a site-by-site basis. In other words,
>> whenever
>> there's an obnoxious ad that bothers my concentration, I block images
>> from
>> that url+path.
>
>     I used to do it on a site basis, but it didn't work well for me. I
> don't want to merely remove ads from sites I visit often. I want to
> remove them from as many sites as possible, including a site I've never
> seen that I may visit today.

With adblock, you can use "*" as a wildcard. So, I want to block some add? I
right-click the offending add and sélect block... In the dialog that show up, I
replace most of the string by a single *. Hit the return key and close. Voilà, I
see about 12+ ads disapear at once :) And if I encounter add by that server
anywhere else, they to, are blocked.
Some of the blocking strings are: "*doubleclick*", "*adbrite*", "*adserve*",...
or something like "<some site URL>/banner/*" if I want to remove the banners but
not the rest of the content.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you look at waterfalls, dust,