POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New router : Re: New router Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New router
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 18 Sep 2008 14:37:51
Message: <48d29fff$1@news.povray.org>
>>>    What's your internet speed Andrew? (Just curious)
>> 5.2 Mb/sec. Apparently. (Only downstream, obviously.)
>
>   Oh, nice! That's what I should be on now but over the last 6 months it's
> been steadily dropping on my SpeedTouch 330. Sometimes I could  barely get
> 2.5Mbps, and other times, I'd get a top slot of 4.5Mbps whereas I should be
> getting something like 6 to 7 Mbps (being on an "upto 8Mb's" connection,
> that is). No idea what's going on, but it's part of why I changed to a
> router, to see if it would be any better. And to be honest, it is, even
> though I'm still getting 3.9Mbps.

The figure I quoted is only the reported data link speed. That doesn't
mean my ISP will actually *deliver* data that fast. ;-)

>    What's with the 'packages' in the status dialogue?

If it in fact says "packets" rather than "packages" that would make more
sense...

>> At work it's 5.0 Mb/sec, but that's both ways, and it's guaranteed. (And

>       That's what you should be on...  :/

>> Scary fact: Your new router is *probably* just a customised computer
>> running a customised version of Linux! (My dad's router - Belkin I think -
>> gives you telnet access to a Bash shell...)
>
>        No idea what that means, but...  O_O

It means... It probably has all the standard Linux tools, and if you're
a Linux hacker, you can probably change the configuration in ways that
the pretty HTTP interface doesn't have a button for. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/