POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New router : Re: New router Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New router
From: St
Date: 18 Sep 2008 14:29:05
Message: <48d29df1@news.povray.org>
news:48d296b6@news.povray.org...
>>> Which is the speed between your PC and the router, yes.
>>
>>     Ah! Cool! :) So that means I can genuinely say that I "have access to
>> a 100Mbps connection" then...  Heh... :)
>
> Indeed you do. And if you connect anything else to the router, you will be
> able to talk to it at a full 100 Mb/sec too. ;-) Just not teh interwebs...

    :)

>>> Ah, you want the speed between the router and the Internet? Well, that
>>> is anoter matter... ;-)
>>
>>       Tell me about it!! Man, I feel that my computer is messed up
>> because I changed SO MANY settings! But, everything is working fine. I
>> had to do the http://192.168.0.1 thing - do all routers have to do that?
>
> It varies, but yes, typically "home" routers have a HTTP interface,
> although the exact address varies. (You can usually just run "ipconfig"
> and look at the default gateway setting, and try that.) At work, a lot of
> our printers are configurable in a similar way. HTTP and HTML were never
> ever designed for this, but it's widely deployed and ever since Hotmail
> everybody has been using it this way more and more...

   Yes, I did the 'ipconfig' thing about 5 times, and on the last one,
everything came together like magic. :)

>>    What's your internet speed Andrew? (Just curious)
>
> 5.2 Mb/sec. Apparently. (Only downstream, obviously.)

  Oh, nice! That's what I should be on now but over the last 6 months it's
been steadily dropping on my SpeedTouch 330. Sometimes I could  barely get
2.5Mbps, and other times, I'd get a top slot of 4.5Mbps whereas I should be
getting something like 6 to 7 Mbps (being on an "upto 8Mb's" connection,
that is). No idea what's going on, but it's part of why I changed to a
router, to see if it would be any better. And to be honest, it is, even
though I'm still getting 3.9Mbps.

   What's with the 'packages' in the status dialogue?

> At work it's 5.0 Mb/sec, but that's both ways, and it's guaranteed. (And

      That's what you should be on...  :/

>>> If you dig around the settings for it, there might be a "status" or
>>> "statistics" page somewhere that tells you something useful.
>>
>>      No, no statistics page from what I can see, and the 'status' says
>> exactly the same thing as when you hover over the icon. Found the answer
>> above, but it would still be nice if I could access the workings of this
>> thing and get some answers.
>
> Scary fact: Your new router is *probably* just a customised computer
> running a customised version of Linux! (My dad's router - Belkin I think -
> gives you telnet access to a Bash shell...)

       No idea what that means, but...  O_O

           ~Steve~