POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White hat? Black Hat? : Re: White hat? Black Hat? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 06:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White hat? Black Hat?
From: somebody
Date: 16 Sep 2008 23:12:54
Message: <48d075b6$1@news.povray.org>
news:48cfc9e8@news.povray.org...
> somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:

> > Warp and some others think
> > that *reporting* of the incident was wrong,

>   That's not what I have said. When I have said something like that it has
> been pure sarcasm.

> > and that the hacker should have
> > been rewarded instead

>   I never talked about rewards (except sarcastically), and that sentence
> of yours doesn't even make sense with the firt one.
>
>   You are badly twisting what I have said.

At different times, you said

"No good deed goes unpunished."

"Finding a security weakness and then *not* exploiting it for your own
selfish purposes but instead reporting the weakness so that they will
patch it justifies it."

"Basically the situation is that the sysadmins *benefited* from the
hacking, and as a reward, the university sues the person who performed
the hacking."

...etc

If there's sarcasm, and there seems to be, it's in the opposite direction
(ie directed at the expense of the university administration, for their
"mishandling" of the situation). It's of course possible that I'm reading it
all wrong and you in fact believe that the hacker did a bad thing, in which
case I apologize and take back what I said, but interpreting those quotes as
something other than suggesting that he did a good deed, it was a favour to
sysadmins, and if anything, he should have been rewarded, sounds like a
stretch.