POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White hat? Black Hat? : Re: White hat? Black Hat? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 06:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White hat? Black Hat?
From: scott
Date: 16 Sep 2008 10:32:11
Message: <48cfc36b$1@news.povray.org>
> Forget punishment, that's not even the point. Warp and some others think
> that *reporting* of the incident was wrong, and that the hacker should
> have
> been rewarded instead, which is an order of magnitude harder to
> understand.

Yeh, I didn't really understand why Warp said:

"That will teach him to never tell about his hacking again."

When the *telling* about the security hole is not the problem, the problem
is when he actually *did* the hacking on 32 students, and even much worse,
distributed the data to lots of people (and not just the system owners).

I know for sure that I could install a keylogger on my colleagues computer
and get his password.  Does that mean that I should be allowed to do it
without permission from the system owners and send the results to my
friends, "for the sake of improving security"?  Absolutely no way, not in a
million years.