POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing : Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing
From: John VanSickle
Date: 16 Sep 2008 08:06:08
Message: <48cfa130@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen wrote:

> Join the crowd! If you start from light sources you have to have some clever way
> to get the rays inside camera view angle and then hit the camera. The other way
> around you have to make them hit the light sources eventually. Both are
> plausible but I have no idea how to prevent from shooting totally unnecessary
> rays (ie. those just misses the camera) with the first method.

I would probably set the renderer so that after so many reflections, the
current ray origin is tested to see if it is in the camera view.  If so,
reflect the photon directly at the camera.  Otherwise, cancel the
photon.  It probably won't help much, but it could help a bit.

The real weakness of the whole approach is that for animation work, the
rendering has to be allowed to go on until the graininess is gone, and
there isn't a reliable way to predict that.

Regards,
John