POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sandwich : Re: Sandwich Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:25:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sandwich
From: John VanSickle
Date: 16 Sep 2008 07:54:07
Message: <48cf9e5f@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> My mum has just sent me an email saying that the price of cheese (my
> favourite food) has gone up by 10% in the last week.
>

> 1 tonne of cheese.
>

> the stuff, and I'm sure it doesn't include refrigerating it in the shop
> or any other overheads, but basically the price you pay is about 10x the
> price the shop pays. That's an impressive price difference...

Mark-ups of one hundred to two hundred percent are quite common in
retail sales.

> Also, I was under the impression that *all* food prices have gone up. So
> my mum's comment that "you'd better start eating something else" seems a
> bit daft to me.
>
> No doubt at some point somebody will blame all this on the credit
> crunch.

It's more likely caused by one of the suppliers in the market
consistently pricing their product or service above market rates.
Everyone has to pass on this increased cost.  At the moment the two
players in the market who are most insulated from market forces are the
petroleum exporters and the government.

Regulation is also constantly increasing, and affects just about
everybody in the chain from cow to cheese counter at the store.

> If you think about it for a moment, it's quite amazing the power mankind
> how has to screw itself just by thinking about it. It only takes one
> news reporter to say "but don't panic-buy, there's plenty of fuel" and
> within hours every filling station in the land has been denuded of fuel.
> How powerful reverse psychology is! A crysis exists because somebody
> says so.
>
> I think Mr Adams said it right, when he wrote "In summary, people are a
> problem."
>
> In a more or less unrelated thread... Which is healthier? A cheese
> sandwich, or a packet of crisps?

The cheese sandwich is far healthier.  It has more protein.

Regards,
John