POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games programmers : Re: Games programmers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games programmers
From: Invisible
Date: 16 Sep 2008 04:34:03
Message: <48cf6f7b$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
>> I did eventually get a moderately complex program to work. But basically
>> every time my program didn't work, I'd replace the implementation with an
>> equivilent but differently worded one until the program actually worked.
>
> This is the sort of thing I was referring to when I said you need to know
> what you don't know about your code. You can't just guess your way to an
> understanding; you must first learn why your original code is broken. This
> isn't always possible but it's a good goal. You learn a lot more that way.

I guess the problem was not having anybody to ask nor any documentation
to look at. My mental model of what the code should be doing was clearly
broken, or the code would have done what I intended. But without any way
to figure out why... there's not a lot you can do.

>> 1. It was 10 years ago, not 20.
>
> Surely the things you've learned about programming in the last 10 years
> would be helpful.

I somewhat doubt that knowing Smalltalk, Java, Tcl, PostScript and
Haskell is going to be of any help in learning either C or C++.

> Anyway, if you're not interested in learning C++, that's cool. I had thought
> you were interested. I just see a pattern in your posts where there are
> things you want (in this case a programming job), and when people encourage
> you to get them, you list reasons why you're not able to, or why it's
> difficult. You need to learn to ignore or deal with the hurdles and push
> yourself until you get where you want to be.

It's just very difficult to find motivation when

1. all your endevours fail

2. nobody except you actually gives a damn anyway