POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White hat? Black Hat? : Re: White hat? Black Hat? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 08:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White hat? Black Hat?
From: scott
Date: 16 Sep 2008 03:52:52
Message: <48cf65d4$1@news.povray.org>
>> But his mistake was to go several steps further, and actually
>> "demonstrate"
>> the security floor by installing keyloggers and magnetic card readers,
>> then
>> accessing 32 different student accounts illegally and sending his
>> findings
>> to 37 of his mates.  Had he just written the document and sent it to the
>> university, fine.
>
>  Yes, that caused tons of expensive damage, so he must be punished.

Would you be happy if your details had been sent to 37 of his mates?  I
guess those 32 students that had their data published had to go and change
all their details, and the university had to go and check all their accounts
with them to see if there was anything on their debit cards that shouldn't
have been.  SO yes, I'm sure a lot of people are having to waste a lot of
time now that they shouldn't have done, and yes he should be punished so
that others don't do the same.

> That
> will teach him to never tell about his hacking again.

No, that will teach him to actually go ahead and carry out an illegal
security hack on 32 students, rather than informing the authorities about
it.  How on Earth can you say that installing a disguised magnetic card
reader to skim cards does not deserve to be punished?