POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White hat? Black Hat? : Re: Anonymity in our newsgroups - Was: White hat? Black Hat? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 08:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anonymity in our newsgroups - Was: White hat? Black Hat?
From: somebody
Date: 15 Sep 2008 16:38:31
Message: <48cec7c7$1@news.povray.org>
"andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
news:48C### [at] hotmailcom...

> FYI I use
> a hotmail account in newsgroups for obvious reasons. I am not hiding
> behind a fictitious address.

What would the purpose of a legitimate (or legitimate looking) e-mail
address be if I don't wish to receive any e-mails?

> I will answer e-mails sent to that address
> and it reflects even my name IRL.

I don't care, so long as there aren't two "andrel"s to confuse. Avoiding
confusion to me is the only reason d'etre of a name or a handle.

> It is your choice. I think of this group as a group of (mostly) friends.
> Your choice sort of spoils that idea for me. Many people here use
> aliases and many use e-mail addresses that are either invalid or
> mangled. Yet, because they have a recognizable identity I can think of
> them as a human being. To me you're more a ghost than a human being.

I'm well aware that had I called myself "Sebastian", "Zippy", or even "mtu",
I would automatically command more respect. It's quite interesting, really.

> So
> again, it is absolutely your own choice on whether you want to be part
> of this group or not, but I (and perhaps others) might not respond to
> anything you say. (Obviously, I make an exception for this metadicussion.)

I prefer to discuss and challenge ideas, rather than get on a personal
level. To that end, a reduced audience is not a big problem.