POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sandwich : Re: Sandwich Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:21:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sandwich
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Sep 2008 06:42:45
Message: <48ce3c25$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Supermarkets also sell a hell of an amount of stuff each day.  Within
> the first few minutes of being open they probably have enough money to
> pay all their staff and rent the building for the day.

Really? As fast as that?

> The rest goes
> towards actually buying the goods that they are then selling.
> Supermarkets only make 3-4% profit, there is no way they could get away
> with a 10x markup on something basic like cheese.

Well, it did seem odd to me.

> Actually I just googled, and it turns out that the 600 GBP/ton figure
> you quote is actually the *increase* in cheese price.

Ah. That would be something completely different...

Any ideas what the *actual* price is then?

>> Plus, as I say, I have no idea whether this figure includes transport,
>> which can't be cheap and is also unavoidable cost...
>
> They manage to sell tins of beans for 19p so it can't be that much.

Mmm, that's true.

>> This amuses me. Given that cheese *is* fat,
>
> Even full-fat cheese is usually only 40-60% fat.

Really? So what's the rest of it then?

> Low fat cheese is
> often around 20% fat.  Still a lot of fat when compared to other
> products.

I still remember buying a packet of Dairylee cheese and looking at the
ingredients: "Cheese (22%)". Uh... so this "cheese" is only 22% cheese?
WTF is the rest of it?!! o_O

(It turns out the rest is actually just margerine, which isn't so bad.)

> IIRC you should aim to be eating around 100g of fat per day
> max.  Check the labels.

Probably.