POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sandwich : Re: Sandwich Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sandwich
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Sep 2008 06:08:28
Message: <48ce341c$1@news.povray.org>

> Hmm, I very much doubt that 600 GBP per ton figure.  There's no way Asda
> could get away with a 10x markup, the other supermarkets would be
> charging 62p/kg if they could buy it for 600 GBP/ton.  I suspect Asda
> are actually paying very close to what you pay for the cheese.

Except that ASDA has to store the cheese in their warehouse, move it
onto the shelves at the appropriate time, keep it refrigerated all the
while (those big open-front refrigerators must be *so* inefficient!),
pay for all their staff's wages, the lighting, rent on the building,
etc. That's a hell of a lot of overhead, which all of their competetors
also have.

Plus, as I say, I have no idea whether this figure includes transport,
which can't be cheap and is also unavoidable cost...

>> In a more or less unrelated thread... Which is healthier? A cheese
>> sandwich, or a packet of crisps?
>
> A low-fat cheese sandwich on brown bread isn't too bad, but I guess you
> can get some pretty healthy crisps nowadays too.  Look on the labels and
> work out how much you're eating of fat etc from each one.

This amuses me. Given that cheese *is* fat, the very concept of "low-fat
cheese" seems incongruous to me. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/