POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games programmers : Re: Games programmers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games programmers
From: scott
Date: 15 Sep 2008 05:00:41
Message: <48ce2439$1@news.povray.org>
> Yes indeed, and if you look at what he writes about C it is not that he
> has problems with imperative languages in general but with this one for
> particular reasons.

But his reasoning always seems to be based on using some ancient compiler
for 5 minutes 20 years ago.  I really don't believe that if he sat down for
an hour with a "learn C" book, he couldn't pick it up.  Not given the number
of other more complex languages he's picked up.  The mistakes that he always
cites (like printf crashing the machine with beeps etc) are common newbie
mistakes, but nothing that won't be caught by a modern OS/compiler and fixed
with a 1 minute lesson.

> Even after adjusting the grammar (Ik begrijp werkelijk niet waarom u het
> zo hard/moeilijk vindt om C. te leren...) it will still be on the edge of
> comprehensible and not something any Dutchman would write (though I really
> do like the kernverklaringen, we really should introduce that in the
> language).

Hehe, surprising how much of that I could understand given my knowledge of
German ;-)  Not that I could write any of it, but reading it was almost ok.

> Language is much more than syntax and grammar. Which was the point I
> wanted to make in the first place.

But with the knowledge of syntax and grammar you can at least make a good
start that will work 99% of the time.  It may not be the most efficient or
elegant way, but it will work.  Only with experience will you become like a
"native" of the language.