POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White hat? Black Hat? : Re: White hat? Black Hat? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 08:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White hat? Black Hat?
From: scott
Date: 15 Sep 2008 04:11:33
Message: <48ce18b5$1@news.povray.org>

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/city/story.html?id=25110a8f-a73a-43a0-a2a5-1daa08d147d1

> Can't make my mind up on this; is the university right in prosecuting or
> are they overreacting to cover their own insecure *ssh*les?
> Right now I'm leaning in the direction of overreacting but I'm willing to
> be convinced otherwise

Seems to me like he installed some keyloggers and card readers and simply
skimmed off log in information.  Then he actually admitted doing this to the
university - very clever...

He should have sent the 16-page report to the university without actually
performing the illegal acts or sending the document to 37 of his mates.  If
they had refused to improve security, then he could have gone to the local
student papers etc and kicked up a fuss.