POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing : Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing
From: John VanSickle
Date: 13 Sep 2008 23:53:13
Message: <48cc8aa9@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen wrote:
>> * Instead of shooting RGB rays, shoot photons of a particular wave
>> length, selected randomly from the spectrum of the light source at the
>> emission point;
>
> Yes. This should be implemented at some point to enable accurate dispersion.

I should say that the weakness of this approach is that a surface that
is supposed to be a uniform color will now appear to be a mixture of
pixels that average to that color.

>> * A photon isn't drawn on the screen unless it hits the virtual film.
>> Then you calculate its RGB value, and add that to the pixel at that
>> point in the screen.
>
> I start the rays from film plane so all rays always hit the film. I'm not sure
> if anyone does it the other way and how it works in practice.

So it traces from 'film' to light source, instead of the other way
around?  I had assumed that it went the other way.  Maybe I could try
writing a renderer that does that.

Regards,
John