POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White hat? Black Hat? : Re: White hat? Black Hat? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 10:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White hat? Black Hat?
From: Alain
Date: 13 Sep 2008 21:18:15
Message: <48cc6657$1@news.povray.org>
somebody nous illumina en ce 2008-09-13 12:10 -->
> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
>> somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:
>
>>> The question you should be asking is, did anyone ask you to fix their
>>> security in the first place? Spend your time and energy on things that
> there
>>> is a demand for, not on things that you are unwelcome to do.
>
>>   It's exactly that kind of bastard mentality that causes all the
>> ridiculous lawsuits.
>
> No, it's the type of mentality that keeps a civilized society running. If
> the society approved of people who sought to fix the problems they perceived
> on others their own way, we would go back to lawlessness and every man fend
> for himself.

In everydays life, you're right... mostly. When you stumble on something wrong,
you are bound to report it to someone competent on the mather, or correct it
yourself if you are abilited or competent to do so. If you search for something
wrong, for any reason, and find something, you must act about it.

In computer world, we NEED hackers to find and report flaws. Why do you think
patches are isued for every OSs and most applications? Only because some hackers
hunted for flaws and put them under the noses of devlopers. In the computer
world, hackers are our private investigators. Many hackers are now paid workers
at various software firms and security agencies. Calling every hackers
"criminal" is insanely gross over symplification. It all depend on why he hack,
and what he does after the hacking.

--
Alain
Don't kiss an elephant on the lips today.