POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White hat? Black Hat? : Re: White hat? Black Hat? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 08:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White hat? Black Hat?
From: somebody
Date: 13 Sep 2008 14:12:37
Message: <48cc0295$1@news.povray.org>
news:48cbee01@news.povray.org...
> somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:

> > You get permission (and probably supervision)
> > before testing other people's systems security flaws. You don't go
around
> > breaking into other people's systems to prove your machismo, and more
than
> > you go around breaking into other people's homes.

>   A student goes to the university directors and asks permission to try
> to hack the system? Haha!

What's wrong with that? If he makes a good case, he has a good chance of
being taken seriously. And if not, and if he's really obsessed, he can
suggest that he will hack regardless and give them the option to keep it
clean and under wraps. I don't recommend such borderline blackmail, but even
that is still better than committing a more serious and costly crime.

>   This would only lead for the security flaw to never be found and fixed.

You are guessing.

> Well, not until a malicious cracker exploits it first.

Again, that's a guess.