POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White hat? Black Hat? : Re: White hat? Black Hat? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 08:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White hat? Black Hat?
From: somebody
Date: 13 Sep 2008 14:03:53
Message: <48cc0089@news.povray.org>
news:48cbfe62@news.povray.org...
> somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:

> > There are many costs (including waking up the sys-admin in the middle of
the
> > night and paying overtime wages, or taking the system offline for a
while
> > and inconvenience legitimate users) with any systems attack.

>   A security hole report does not cause wakin gup the sysadmin in the
> middle of the night and paying overtime wages or taking the system
offline.

Really? If I send you an e-mail listing all your financial and confidential
information, won't you be wasting the rest of your day frantically calling
every bank, agency, government institution, and business to inform them to
disable your cards, change numbers, accounts... etc? In the meantime, you
won't have access to those things. Now consider confidential information of
thousands of students and do the math. Everything has a cost. Even if fixing
the system doesn't cost money (hah, in a dream world!), major damage is done
with any such reckless act.

>   It causes the sysadmin to send a report to the software house with which
> they have a software license so that they will fix the security hole. At
> regular working hours.

Not all systems are such turnkey operations, and the vendor won't himself
have a fix for every type of security breach even if they were.