POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White hat? Black Hat? : Re: White hat? Black Hat? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 06:14:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White hat? Black Hat?
From: somebody
Date: 13 Sep 2008 11:44:36
Message: <48cbdfe4$1@news.povray.org>
news:48cbd79c@news.povray.org...
> somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:

> > And one more thing to say on the subject: Why is it that people think
the
> > ease by which one can commit a cybercrime justifies it?

>   Finding a security weakness and then *not* exploiting it for your own
> selfish purposes but instead reporting the weakness so that they will
> patch it justifies it.

If the end justifies the means, am I to assume you also agree that breaking
into people's homes to expose their security flaws and pretend-robbing
people at gunpoint to expose their unprotectedness are also just dandy, and
moreover a good deed, provided you don't actually steal anything?

>   The other alternative is that you will not report it (for the fear of
> a lawsuit) and then a malicious hacker will find it and exploit it for
> malicious purposes. And then everyone is happy?

Then, the alternative to above scenarios is that a psycho will find about
the lack of secutiry in a home and slaughert all the family, and that a gun
wielding coke addict will shoot the person in the head to steal his wallet.