POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : White hat? Black Hat? : Re: White hat? Black Hat? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 06:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: White hat? Black Hat?
From: somebody
Date: 13 Sep 2008 11:39:23
Message: <48cbdeab$1@news.povray.org>
news:48cbd6b6@news.povray.org...
> somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:

> > *Reporting* a security weakness is a good deed. *Exploiting* a security
> > weaknes is a bad deed, even if followed by reporting.

>   Now please explain to us the exact means by which you will know the
> security weakness without actually testing it. You will consult a
> psychic? Or read it from tarot cards? Maybe you will see a vision
> while you are on an LSD trip. Or perhaps you will use telepathy to
> read the minds of the programmers who created the system, study their
> code and then find the weakness. Yeah, that will work.

Do you break into your neighbour's houses to "test" their security
weaknesses? To answer your question, that's so easy that I'm surprised you
cannot see the solution: You get permission (and probably supervision)
before testing other people's systems security flaws. You don't go around
breaking into other people's systems to prove your machismo, and more than
you go around breaking into other people's homes.