POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Simply CGI : Re: Simply CGI Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simply CGI
From: Warp
Date: 13 Sep 2008 11:00:21
Message: <48cbd584@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:

> >   We clearly have completely different definitions of "installing a
> > program".

> Yes.

  My definition of "installing" is clear and unambiguous. Your definition
is rather fuzzy.

> To me, if you can use a program just by running it, that's not
> "installing" it.

> If, however, you have to insert DLLs into particular folders, create
> registry keys and configure environment variables, that's "installing"
> something.

  What if it doesn't install DLLs but creates registy keys and configures
environment variables? Is it then installing? What if it doesn't configure
environment variables? Is it still installing? What if it installs DLLs
but doesn't create a registry key?

> The former means you can just drop the binary only (say) a USB flash
> drive and use it anywhere. The latter means that you have to do some
> setup (and probably removal) at every PC.

  But you didn't "drop the binary only a USB flash drive" (whatever that
may mean). You installed it in your system.

--
                                                          - Warp