POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing : Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stochastic (monte-carlo) tracing
From: Ray Bellis
Date: 13 Sep 2008 10:59:21
Message: <48cbd549$1@news.povray.org>
> Nice! Maybe no accurate but the results look good.

Thanks :)

> If you want better, see this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specular_highlight

> (I have not implemented them yet, but some people use Blinn or
> Cook...)

I'm familiar with Phong, but I've not used any of the others.

Curiously these models all seem to describe ways to approximate the
resulting light intensity fall-off for direct ray-tracing to light sources.

None of them seem to describe methods to actually perturb the normal to
directly simulate micro-facets.

Hence my method (whilst not strictly accurate) produces blurred reflections
of the entire scene, and not just specular reflections of the light sources.

I guess that's the advantage of the Monte Carlo method - if you're going to
cast millions of rays you can afford to average out the results numerically,
rather than use a mathematical approximation.

> Anyway, good that I'm not the only one interested in this
> madness :)

Indeed.

I'd also be happy to share my code...

Do you happen to have the geometry of your sample images available?  I'd
like to try to create the same scenes to compare results.

cheers,

Ray