POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games programmers : Re: Games programmers Server Time
10 Oct 2024 15:15:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games programmers
From: Warp
Date: 12 Sep 2008 17:04:32
Message: <48cad960@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> scott wrote:

> > I really don't understand why you find it so hard to learn C.

> (I really don't understand why everybody else finds it so hard to learn
> Haskell, but there we are.)

  Because Haskell is not imperative and doesn't use modules. Haskell uses
a paradigm which does not correspond to how normal people think.

  (Of course it doesn't help that 90% of the keywords and standard library
function names are obfuscated. Sometimes the names are obscure because the
concept behind them is so obscure. Other times it's simply this weird
obsession Haskell people have with writing code which is as short as
possible, even at the cost of clarity.)

> Any operation involving strings seems to require you to use functions
> with names like "strnmsx" or something. (What, you couldn't afford a few
> more octets for some extra letters?)

  Have you looked at the standard library function names in haskell
recently?

  (Besides, if you want easy string manipulation, use C++, not C.)

> I spent about 3 days trying to figure out the syntax for making function
> pointers work.

  I can't even begin to imagine what do you need function pointers for,
as a C beginner programmer.

  I have programmed C/C++ for over 10 years, over half of that
professionally, and I have used function pointers probably less than
a dozen times.

> Which one is FALSE? Is that 0 or 1? I know it's one or the other, but I
> can never ever remember which - and it's kind of important!

  You have a ridiculously bad memory if you can't remember such a trivial
thing.

> What insane nutcase thought that making assignment an expression as a
> good idea? Seriously, WTF? That's excellent. So if I say "if (x = 5)..."
> then my program will silently fail to work correctly, and I'll probably
> spend hours if not days trying to figure out why.

  Use a proper compiler.

> Boolean operators and bitwise operators. Which is which? Which ones are
> the short-circuit ones, and which aren't? I can never remember.

  Says the person who has probably memorized over half of the most
obscure functions and tricks in haskell.

> What's the difference between #include "" and include <>?

  Does it matter?

--
                                                          - Warp